There are 25 places in Harrison County which have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1974, when the Harrison County Courthouse was listed. The last was the Handy House on November 25, 2005.
That's more than forty years of work at identifying and in helping to preserve sites that are deserving of the recognition and protection!
The next time you are driving around Harrison County, see how many of the following sites you can see:
- Harrison County Courthouse (100 Main St., Cynthiana) ~ Listed December 6, 1974
- Monticello (aka Thomas Jefferson Megibben House; Monticello Heights, Cynthiana (The house was severely damaged by a fire in July, 1985; its ruins, except for the carriage house, were demolished.)) ~ Listed December 31, 1974
- Poplar Hill (aka John William Kimbrough House; 901 Millersburg Pike (East of Cynthiana on KY 32) Cynthiana) ~ Listed November 7, 1976
- Stony Castle (West of Berry on Lafferty Pike, Berry) ~ Listed December 12, 1978
- Episcopal Church of the Advent (122 North Walnut St., Cynthiana) ~ Listed December 22, 1978
- Kimbrough-Hehr House (U.S. 62, Broadwell) ~ Listed April 20, 1979
- William T. Lafferty House (548 East Pike St., Cynthiana) ~ Listed April 10, 1980
- Cynthiana Commercial District (Pike St. from Church to Main Sts., and Main St. from Bridge to Pleasant Sts., Cynthiana) ~ Listed October 19, 1982
- Wesley Roberts House (113-115 North Main St., Cynthiana) ~ Listed November 10, 1982
- Joel Fraizer House (Off KY 982, Cynthiana) ~ Listed June 23, 1983
- Haviland House, aka Stone House on Haviland Lane (Off U.S. 62, Cynthiana) ~ Listed June 23, 1983
- John Hinkson House (Off U.S. 27, Shawhan) ~ Listed June 23, 1983
- John Lair House (Old Lair Rd., Shawhan) ~ Listed June 23, 1983
- John McKee House (Cook Rd., Shawhan) ~ Listed June 23, 1983
- Samuel McMillan House (Off U.S. 62, Shawhan) ~ Listed June 23, 1983
- Joseph Shawhan House (Off U.S. 27, Shawhan) ~ Listed June 23, 1983
- Smith House (Off Lair Rd., Shawhan) ~ Listed June 23, 1983
- Stone House of Indian Creek (Off U.S. 62, Cynthiana) ~ Listed June 23, 1983
- John Williams House (Off KY 32/36, Shawhan) ~ Listed June 23, 1983
- Archaeological Site No. 15HR4 (Address Restricted, Lair) ~ Listed February 20, 1986
- Spur Gasoline Station, aka Jay's Cars Office (201 E. Bridge St., Cynthiana) ~ Listed April 27, 1987
- Coleman-Desha Plantation (aka the Duffy House, the Oaks, and the Newkirk House; 1416 U.S. 62 E (Oddville Pike), 1 mile northeast of Cynthiana) ~ Listed February 26, 1993.
- Confederate Monument in Cynthiana (Located in Battle Grove Cemetery, 531 East Pike Street (0.75 mi. E of jct. of S. Elmarch Ave. & Pike St.), Cynthiana) ~ Listed July 17, 1997
- Second Battle of Cynthiana Battlefield (1 mi. N of Cynthiana, E of KY 36) ~ Listed September 6, 2002
- Handy Farm (aka Ridgeway; U.S. 62, Cynthiana) ~ Listed November 25, 2005 (Visit Friends of Ridgeway Historic Community Center on Facebook for the most up-to-date information)
or let your fingers do the walking over to
and look for the link to "History on the Hoof."
|The Harrison County Courthouse was added to the list in 1974.|